2012/08/22

8/21 討論逐字稿 SuperBetter

We discussed Jane McGonigal's two TED talks about gaming.

Closing Statements
Firstly, when I saw this topic, I was a little bit shocked, because I used to play console games when I was a kid. I enjoyed myself. But I did my homework, actually, and I would finish as quickly as possible in order to play games. When I grew up, again, I used to indulge myself in Sudoku games, I played this a lot. So, the first time I saw this video's title, I think, it's totally a waste of time, playing games! Because I really didn't do anything, and I really spent most of my time on it. So it shocked me that she can see things in this way. So the most impressive part of the video is maybe the final part. She wants to design a real world into a game world.
I think she wants to make the world into a game.

After she explained the difference between the reality and the game, I think it's really cool to think this way, if we really can do so, it's brilliant, totally. And, but at the same time, I just wonder that, why people can trust each other easily in the game, is there something different from the game and the real world we are living in? Or it's like, people just get rid of their sense of embarrassment when they are in the game?

And the other thing I was impressed about is that, playing games seems to ease the frustration in the real world. I guess this is why so many people are involved in the virtual world instead of the real world, because things there can be easily done.
I still think there are huge differences between the real world and the virtual world. By just applying games simply to the virtual world, can it really solve the problem in the real world? I doubt it, really. Probably because I don't see the rationale behind what she's thinking about. So I kind of don't buy it. I am curious about how it can work. If it really can, it is awesome. It's a big step for no matter what a country's situation is now.

In this video what struck me the most is that the five traits gamers have, the five positive ones, is exactly opposite of the five regrets people have in hospice. And this provides a clue for me to try to get out of a vicious cycle, this year. And another thing I'd like to mention is, the regrets people have in hospice are different from the regrets we talked about before, on another topic. I guess because people only treasure things they don't have. By this I mean, when you don't have enough money, you regret you don't work harder. But when you need companions or company, you regret you didn't spend time with family.

Relationships in the virtual world are much simpler. But in my experience, we are living in a world created by others. Like virtual currency. I've started to treat life as a game.